Will the University provide financial support for undocumented and DACA students?

Notre Dame is committed to meeting the full demonstrated financial need for all admitted students, including DACA  and undocumented students. Learn more here

Will the University provide legal support to undocumented and DACA students?

For more information regarding legal support, please contact the Office of Student Enrichment by calling (574) 631-8639 or emailing enrich@nd.edu

Does the University provide counseling services to address the needs of undocumented and DACA students?

University Counseling Services (UCC) offers a broad range of free counseling services to currently enrolled and degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students. Individual and group counseling, 24-hour urgent crisis services, and psychoeducational programming are available. For more information and to schedule an appointment, please visit the UCC website.

Will undocumented students continue to be admitted to the University?

Yes. The University of Notre Dame considers admission for students from around the world. All students who apply to the University, regardless of citizenship, including undocumented students, are considered for admission and the financial aid for which they qualify. 

Does the University protect my student education records?

Yes. The University adheres to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. In accordance with FERPA, Notre Dame will not release information from a student's education record, including immigration status and other identifying information, without the student's written consent, except as required by law. There are some exceptions, which are described on the Office of the Registrar website. Additional information about the University's compliance with FERPA can be found on the Office of General Counsel website

Does the University protect my student health records?

Yes. University Health Services (UHS) and the University Counseling Center (UCC) operate in accordance with Indiana state and federal laws governing privacy. The University will not share student information outside of the health care community without a student’s permission.

Can I travel domestically and/or internationally as a undocumented or DACA student? 

Students should avoid international travel and should not apply to international study abroad programs. If at all possible, when traveling domestically, avoid travel within 100 miles of the borders of Mexico and Canada, and consider the safest option(s) for domestic travel in addition to state and local enforcement regulations (including TSA, ICE, CEP, and Border Patrol presence). Do not drive if your driver’s license has expired.

Additionally, students should be aware of all expiration dates and state regulations for their ID cards and determine whether state ID and drivers licenses expiration and renewals are contingent on individual DACA expiration. It may also be helpful to obtain IDs now before DACA expires and to make photo copies of all IDs and store in a safe place.

What role does NDSP play in regard to federal immigration law enforcement?

The enforcement of federal immigration laws is not part of the mission of NDSP. Accordingly, except as required by law, NDSP does not engage in immigration enforcement work and it does not release information on immigration status to local, state, or federal law enforcement agencies. 

Under what circumstances do I need employment authorization?

All individuals in the United States who seek employment must establish that they can lawfully work here. Without valid employment authorization, students are not able to be employed. Students are, however, eligible to participate in internship programs. For additional information about the legal requirements for internship programs, please review the fact sheet for Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act

Will Notre Dame declare itself a sanctuary campus?

Notre Dame is taking all possible steps within the law to support students who are undocumented or who qualify for relief under DACA. The University continues to take concrete steps to help undocumented and DACA students, including providing greater access to mental health and legal resources. The University will not declare itself a "sanctuary campus." 

Who should undocumented and DACA students contact to discuss issues/concerns?

Notre Dame campus support for undocumented students is a common effort between multiple offices, and a variety of departments are available to offer assistance to undocumented and DACA students. View a partial list of campus resources here

Where can I find the most up-to-date information about DACA on a national scale?

Please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website for national updates and for additional information regarding Temporary Protection Status.