Will the University provide financial support for undocumented and DACA students?

Notre Dame is committed to meeting the full demonstrated financial need for all admitted undergraduate students, including DACA  and undocumented students. Learn more here

Will the University provide legal support to undocumented and DACA students?

For information regarding possible legal support and assistance with identifying legal resources, please contact the Office of Student Enrichment by calling (574) 631-8639 or emailing enrich@nd.edu

Does the University provide counseling services to address the needs of undocumented and DACA students?

University Counseling Services (UCC) offers a broad range of free counseling services to currently enrolled and degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students. Individual and group counseling, 24-hour urgent crisis services, and psychoeducational programming are available. For more information and to schedule an appointment, please visit the UCC website.

Will undocumented students continue to be admitted to the University?

Yes. The University of Notre Dame considers admission for students from around the world. All students who apply to the University, regardless of citizenship, including undocumented students, are considered for admission and the financial aid for which they qualify. 

Does the University protect my student education records?

Yes. The University adheres to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. In accordance with FERPA, Notre Dame will not release information from a student's education record, including immigration status and other identifying information, without the student's written consent, except as required by law. There are some exceptions, which are described on the Office of the Registrar website. Additional information about the University's compliance with FERPA can be found on the Office of General Counsel website

Does the University protect my student health records?

Yes. University Health Services (UHS) and the University Counseling Center (UCC) operate in accordance with Indiana state and federal laws governing privacy. The University will not share student information outside of the health care community without a student’s permission.

Am I eligible for student health insurance? 

Yes. Undergraduate students who do not have health insurance will receive additional University scholarship to pay for the cost of the University health plan. Students can utilize this benefit at University Health Services, located in Saint Liam Hall, and with other local clinics off-campus. For more information, please visit the Insurance and Billing page on the University Health Services website. For information regarding financial support, contact Mary Nucciarone, Director, Financial Aid, at mnucciar@nd.edu or (574) 631-6436.

Can I travel domestically and/or internationally as a undocumented or DACA student? 

Students should avoid international travel and should not apply to international study abroad programs. If at all possible, when traveling domestically, avoid travel within 100 miles of the borders of Mexico and Canada, and consider the safest option(s) for domestic travel in addition to state and local enforcement regulations (including TSA, ICE, CEP, and Border Patrol presence). Do not drive if your driver’s license has expired.

It is important to understand how Homeland Security's Real ID Act may impact the established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards.  Under the REAL ID regulation, applicants with approved deferred action who hold valid Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) and Social Security Numbers (SSNs) may qualify to receive temporary REAL ID driver's licenses and ID cards. 

Additionally, students should be aware of all expiration dates and state regulations for their ID cards and determine whether state ID and drivers licenses expiration and renewals are contingent on individual DACA expiration. It may also be helpful to obtain IDs now before DACA expires and to make photo copies of all IDs and store in a safe place.

What role does NDPD play regarding federal immigration law enforcement?

The enforcement of federal immigration laws is not part of the mission of NDPD. Accordingly, except as required by law, NDPD does not engage in immigration enforcement work and it does not release information on immigration status to local, state, or federal law enforcement agencies. 

Under what circumstances do I need employment authorization?

All individuals in the United States who seek employment must establish that they can lawfully work here. Without valid employment authorization, students are not able to be employed. Students are, however, eligible to participate in internship programs. For additional information about the legal requirements for internship programs, please review the fact sheet for Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act

If you have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) and would like assistance with the I-9 and other employment paperwork, contact askHR at (574) 631-5900 or via email at askhr@nd.edu. If you prefer a direct contact, you may also reach out to the Office of Human Resources at askhr_i9compliance@nd.edu.

Will Notre Dame declare itself a sanctuary campus?

Notre Dame is taking all possible steps within the law to support and work with students who are undocumented or who qualify for relief under DACA. The University continues to take concrete steps to help undocumented and DACA students, including providing greater access to mental health and legal resources. The University will not declare itself a "sanctuary campus." 

Who should undocumented and DACA students contact to discuss issues/concerns?

Notre Dame campus support for undocumented students is a common effort between multiple offices, and a variety of departments are available to offer assistance to undocumented and DACA students. View a partial list of campus resources here

Who should international students contact to discuss issues/concerns? 

International Student and Scholar Affairs (ISSA) offers a variety of support services and programs in addition to immigration service, guidance, and support to Notre Dame-sponsored international students, J-1 scholars, and their dependents. If you are an international student with F-1 or J-1 status, please click here.

Where can I find the most up-to-date information about DACA on a national scale?

Please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website for national updates and for additional information regarding Temporary Protection Status.

Are there any peer resources for undocumented and DACA students at Notre Dame?

For more information regarding peer support, please contact the Office of Student Enrichment by calling (574) 631-8639 or emailing enrich@nd.edu

Are there any resources for undocumented and DACA students that exist within our local community?

La Casa de Amistad is a charitable organization that offers programming and support to the Hispanic/Latino community of South Bend. 

Where can faculty and staff go to understand more about diversity and inclusion at Notre Dame? 

Visit diversity.nd.edu to learn more about University initiatives and how to best support students in and outside of the classroom.